Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 12, 2009

EFL in Saudi Arabia

I worked for a year in Saudi Arabia. I was in King Abdul Aziz University's English Language Institute.
The new Dean who came in after we had been there for hardly two months was not an English Language and Literature teacher. He was a science man. His name was Dr. Abdul Raheem Abdul Rahman Kinsara.
There were nine of us who were Indian Christians.
At the end of the year, after eight of us - one of the nine had already decided to resign having got a better job in Qatar - were observed by non-English teachers in class and, humiliatingly for me since I have a doctorate in the English language and literature, made to take a written test and an interview, conducted by a new Vice Dean who left midway through my being interviewed and a black American Muslim, we were informed that we were not fit to teach in such an esteemed university. They refused to give us extension of the contract. Instead they made us take an interview for Northern Borders University in which I came first. I left for India giving my email address, phone number and address to Dr. Musa the New Vice Dean, who did not contact me. Kamal Fatani, the administrator didn't too. Dr. Kinsara too did not bother. My phone calls and faxes and emails regarding the interview were not replied to.
They did not reimburse the return ticket money as promised, for my family.
They have not paid me for overtime work in the second semester but have allowed the cheque to lapse because I do not have a bank account now in Saudi.
This despite my leaving an authorization with a teacher there.
This is ethically wrong according to any law.
I was also cheated by Majeed Travels of ticket money and by our Saudi landlord and his middleman Ayman Kabli, an Afghanistani, of three months of rent.
It is clear to the nine of us and many others that we were thrown out and some of us given another offer due to religious discrimination.
Less qualified Indian and Pakistani Muslims who were appointed with me but whose contracts were not renewed initially, if at all, were all taken back.
This injustice needs to be spoken of.
Hence this post.
My request to all is to boycott such places that are run on false principles.
America should not give such universities accreditation.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers