Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 11, 2020

A Translation of my Poem into Bengali by Lopa Banerjee from USA

"Honored and more than that touched and moved beyond words by Lopa Banerjee who is a great writer now in her own right translating my intensely personal poem into Bengali  Will never forget this gesture of love, dear Lopa."

Lopa  Banerjee  is with, Santosh Bakaya and Ampat Koshy.
During grim times as these, hopeful that at least we are privileged with a roof over our heads, food on our plates and the succor of books, literature, creativity which is not only our food for thought but also the inspiration and the stimulus to carry on with our everyday lives, despite the grueling reminder of death and devastation ...
My humble Bengali translation of the English poem 'It Hurts Me', by Dr. Ampat Koshy , a prolific poet and scholar of contemporary Indian English literature. He has been my creative writing mentor since 2014 and I can't describe how happy I am to share this little gift with him.
4
আমি আহত হই
ঠিক যখন আমি ভাবি
কিভাবে তুমি বন্দী একটি দেহের বেড়াজালে, শব্দহীন.
হয়তো আমি আহত হই তোমার অপেক্ষা আরো বেশি.
অশ্রুর দুচোখে ধারাস্নান
ভাবি, যখন আমি যাই দূরে সরে, কিভাবে
তুমি বোঝাতে পারো না বোবা যন্ত্রণা
আমি জানতে পারি না, না জানবো কখনো
তোমার কাতর অনুভূতি Kkk
আর তার পর, সেই দিনটির কথা মনে আসে
যখন প্রিয়তমের প্রস্থান হয় চিরস্থায়ী,
বক্ষ সংকুচিত হয় ভাষাহীন আর্তনাদে
অশ্রু ঝরে যায় তীরবেগে,
তখন-ও, যখন আমি প্রার্থনা করি, আমি যেন প্রথম না হই,
বা তুমি, বা সে, বা
তার তাা সার
যদিও জানি, সে প্রার্থনা মন্জুর হবার নয়.
তাই আশায় আশায় থাকি, হয়তো কোনোদিন এমন আসবে—
তুমি যাবে প্রথম, তারপর সে, তারপর আমি.
কিন্তু প্রকৃতির এই হয়তো খেয়াল,
জানি তার অমোঘ বিধান.
প্রথম প্রস্থান আমার, তারপর তার, তারপর তোমার.
একথা ভেবে ভেবে আমি কুঁকরে যাই
দু চোখের অশ্রু মুছে যাই নিরুপায়,
এই বহমান স্রোতে, মনে হয়
আমাদের ছিল আরো, আরো উপায় ...
কিন্তু সত্যিই, ছিল না.
Original poem in English: It hurts me
It hurts me
only when I think of you
trapped in a body
wordless
Maybe it hurts me more than it does you?
The tears fall from my eyes
like torrential rain
thinking of how
when I go away
you cannot express -
I cannot ever know -
what you feel, then
and when I return
you cannot express -
I cannot ever know -
what you feel, again
and then , thinking of that one day
when one goes away to stay
my chest constricts more
my tears fall faster
even as I pray
that I will not be the one to, first
or you
or she or them
but it may all happen together
though I know such prayers are not answered
so I hope again, that it may happen the other way
you first, then she and then I
but if it goes the way of nature
then I know it will go thus
I first, then she, then you
Thinking of that
I get upset
but do not know what to do
except to wipe my eyes
go on
as if
there is a choice
when there never was one.
Poem source:
Photograph of Lopa Banerjee who is a creative writing teacher in the USA as well as a writer of fiction and non-fiction and of poetry and a translator of repute.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers