Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

For the daily wage workers -an elegy

Prompt 22 - Third offering - Sunita Singh's prompt, done with poetic license. The sculptor is Bruno Catalano.
WHEN THEY NO LONGER GAVE US THAT DAY ON OUR DAILY WAGES
We set out from Karnataka

to reach Maharashtra
but died on the way
in the time of the corona virus
me, my wife and daughter
Years later
they made us this memorial
and to make it look better
gave us nice shoes
and fancy bags
& my wife, a shirt and pant
The truth was much less attractive
but one thing remains intact
the way we vanished
bit by bit
till all that remained
was my daughter's feet
my wife's right side
and last of all my head
The Sea at Marine Drive
mutely watches now
the memory
of us three
who died while going back
to a hovel that we had
but were never meant to reach.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers